This article is for those users who are not yet familiar with the user interface of their TP-Link TL-WR740N control center. If you came here just to learn the basic ways to access your Wi-Fi settings and admin credentials or other features of this TP-Link router, then you are in the right place.
So here is how you should meddle with your TP-Link TL-WR740N control center. Be sure to follow all the instructions carefully. Although you will find that this guide is pretty much straightforward and simple, sometimes the user’s excitement makes it easy to miss a detail or two. Thus, ending up not being able to access the Wi-Fi network altogether. Let’s start.
- Be sure to connect to the Wi-Fi network of the TP-Link router.
- You may use any web browser such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox to access the router’s IP address. Type in the address bar 192.168.0.1.
- When the login prompt pops up, just type in admin for username and admin for password.
- Hit Enter and you will be taken to the control center page.
For Wi-Fi Password and Network Name Change
- If you want to change the default Wi-Fi password, it is actually simple. Just do this:
- Get connected to the TP-Link TL WR740N Wi-Fi network.
- Open your browser and type in https://192.168.1.1
- On the prompt pop-up, type admin for username and admin for password.
- Once the control center page is up, go to Wireless and look for the Network name (SSID) bar. Delete the old default network name and type your own new network name.
- Below is the password bar. Also, delete the old password and type in your new personalized password. Choose WPA/WPA2 Personal for better security setup.
- Hit Save or Apply when you are done.
- The router will reboot and will render your device disconnected to the Wi-Fi network. You will be required to connect to the new network name you provided and the password combination that you created.
- Hit Enter and wait to get connected.
For Changing Default Admin Login Credentials
- Connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- Open the browser that you prefer to use and type in https://192.168.1.1
- Type in the default username and password which is admin for both of them.
- When you enter the control center, go to System Tools > Password.
- Type in the old password which in this case is admin.
- Enter a new password that is only easy for you to remember and difficult for others to figure out.
- You can do the same with the default username if you want it changed as well. Type in the old username (admin) and type in the new one that you prefer next.
- Hit Save or Apply and wait for the reboot to finish.
- Once rebooted, try your new password and username to check if it works.
Make sure that you keep a copy of your new admin username and password. The same also with your new Wi-Fi network name and password. This is to make sure that in case you forgot them, you will only have to check it again where you hid or save it. But if in case you totally lost your wifi password, you will have to reset your router to factory settings.
If you have questions and matters that you need to be discussed, please feel free to leave them as a comment down below. Or if you just want to say anything and everything about this TP-Link product, please do so in the comment section. Enjoy and have fun.